Tuesday, June 21, 2011

elevator

If you're anything like me, you HATE the small talk strangers feel inclined to make in an elevator. Granted, elevators by nature are awkward mechanisms, forcing two people (or more) who don't know each other to stand for an indefinite amount of time in the same 10 cubic feet of space. But still...

So I got to thinking....what if we just skipped the small talk? What if the elevator was a place to go to literally vent whatever to whoever you are standing with between floor 2 and 8? "Man, I didn't get any sleep last night, and I forgot my running shoes, and my co-worker tried to have a conversation with me about her personal life before I'd had my coffee, breakfast OR checked Groupon." Venting, and instantly better. "Dude, right now I just have to take a poop and there's always someone in the bathroom at the same time...I'm on my way down to the gym restroom as we speak. So frustrating." ...or... "You know what? I hate elevators. Don't you? They're just so awkward."

What if we could just cut the sh*t and get straight to what we're really thinking?

1) I think we'd all realize we're dealing with a lot of the same (or worse) sh*t, and feel a sense of camaraderie due to that.

2) We'd feel immensely better when stepping off the elevator.

A mood elevator, if you will.

Just sayin'...


Photo by Merlijn Hoek, via Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment