Wednesday, June 8, 2011

my two cents

So, it started with a dream that I found small change scattered all over the ground. I picked it up, though it was mostly pennies. I awoke, of course, to find the change was no longer under my pillow.

But that day, I found a penny on the ground. I had not found a penny on the ground in probably a few years. So I pocketed it, and went on my way.

A few days later, I found another penny. I thought that was funny...years without finding any change, then a penny two days in a row. But it got weirder. I started finding change on the ground every day, in different amounts. One day, I even found a small baggie lying in the grass that contained $1.35 worth of change. And one day, nearly 75 pennies were scattered all over the ground by the door of our apartment building. Another day, heaps of random, filthy change were in the laundry room lost-and-found. And when one day passed into the late hours a night and I had not found any money, I said to myself Okay, now the spontaneous money-finding has finally ended. Not true. While searching for the back of the remote moments later, I found three quarters in the couch cushions.

Some call it luck. I thought, at first, it was a funny, punny sign from God about all of the "change" that was happening in my life. And maybe, just maybe, they're "pennies from heaven."

After much prompting from my mom to start keeping track of the change, I'm finally going to start. I don't remember Monday's finding, but yesterday, I found a penny, a dime a few blocks later, and another penny.

Today: three pennies, a few blocks apart. The first on tails, the next two on heads.

I'll continue to keep an eye out, and keep you posted. I think it's God's way of saying I'm doing all right down here. But that's just my two cents.

(Photo by starlitmemories via Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment